Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Sensory Processing SIM Lab

Today, I had the opportunity to explain sensory processing disorder to an actor who played the role of a parent with a child who showed symptoms of sensory processing disorder. Overall, I think the SIM encounter went decently well. I tried my best to use layman's terms when explaining everything, but sensory processing is a very complicated concept and it can be quite challenging to simply it. When talking about possible interventions, I think I did well explaining the different types of inputs. I tried my best to make the parent feel comfortable and that it is okay that John struggles with certain things. I wanted her to understand the John was not a "problem child," but rather, people process things differently and some people take more sensory input to regulate emotions and behaviors compared to other people.

If I could redo the SIM lab, I would try to get more input from the parent. With there being a time limit, I felt a little rushed to get all the information in. I tried my best to ask her her thoughts and feelings throughout the encounter, but it was difficult making time to talk about everything. I also would explain deep pressure a little more; I did not get the chance to explain that deep pressure is not restraining the child. Rather, it is providing just enough pressure (like a deep hug) to help relax the nervous system. 

Two ways an attitude of caring can be communicated to a client/caregiver by an OT student could be active listening and establishing rapport. With active listening, you make the client/caregiver feel important and like you truly care. There are many instances that professionals "half-way" listen to patients, and that professional may come off as superior to the patient. Often times when that happens, the patients are not completely happy and may even show some resistance. With active listening, the client/caregiver feels likes their needs and wants are being heard, and he/she will probably feel like they have some kind of say in treatment. By having an input, people are usually more receptive and cooperative. Second, establishing rapport can be very important with treatment outcomes. Establishing rapport will make the client/caregiver feel comfortable and be more likely to "open up" about things that may be a sensitive topic that needs to be addressed. Along with active listening, establishing rapport will hopefully lead to better participation and carry-over to other environments. If the client/caregiver trusts you, then he/she will more likely be willing to try things you recommend and practice skills outside of therapy sessions. 

By biggest takeaway from this experience is to incorporate active listening skills and ask about the client/caregiver's concerns. It is important to be receptive as a professional, just like you want your client to be receptive. I feel like many professionals forget that communication involves at least 2 people. Many times, professionals want to give so much advice and recommendations that they forget what the client may need or want. As a future occupational therapist, I want to work on relating to the client/caregiver and providing interventions that will carry over and truly make a difference in someone's life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment